Pierre et Gilles. Double Je. 1976-2007.
I chose this image from Pierre et Gilles because of its eroticism. It falls into the category of "Objects of Desire and Disgust" in Chapter 4. The young man sits in a classical reclining pose which symbolizes beauty and strength. His relaxed nature and actions show trust, even though he is being objectified by the viewer who voyeuristically watches the man. The eagle represents freedom and power. It is not afraid and eats freely from the hand of the man.
Inez Van Lamsweerde. Decades, 2006.
I chose this image by Inez Van Lamsweerde because of the censorship of the model. I would place this photo in the "anti-pornography campaigns" section of the chapter because of the way the body is censored. She holds her hands over her face and stands with her arms held close to her body, covering her breasts. She looks defensive, as though she doesn't want to be looked at. The hair is typical of a high fashion shoot but the face drawn on her hands projects fear and shock. You can almost see the woman peeking out from between her fingers, but not quite enough to tell if she actually is. This symbolizes the way body language is used and how it can be easily distorted.
Chapter 5:
Guy Bourdin. Vogue.
This image appeared in Vogue Magazine. I'm using it as an interpretation for the "Gender, fashion, and the gaze" portion of chapter 5. The girl lies suggestively back onto the are of the couch with her legs spread, the picture of John Travolta on the floor sexually suggests a man between the model's legs. The dress pulled up over the garter draws the eye us the model's leg, suggesting for the viewer to trace the model's body with their eye. Women's bodies are objectified by the gaze, which is only reinforced by the contorted body of the model.
Laurie Simmons. Pink and Yellow I (Glamour Picture 2008,1967), 2009.
I chose this image by Laurie Simmons because of its altered state. The image is made up of an out of focus child's doll house bathroom and a highly sexualized picture of a model. The juxtaposition of the two images creates a voyeuristic feeling. The sexualized model is positioned next to a child's toy. This symbolizes a feeling of risk and instigates the thrill of looking at something you shouldn't be. The context of the image skews reality.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an image of a print that I made of Clint Eastwood. I chose it because I like the contrast of the oranges and browns that make up the ruggedness of his face.
I chose this image of my 2-year-old nephew Jaxon because, well, it's adorable. He's mostly blind and isn't wearing his glasses because his brother broke them, which is why he's squinting to find his way to the ladder. He is the sweetest, most loving person I know.
I took this image at the elementary school I went to. Everything looks different now and the doors are all painted blue. I like the way that the bright blue paint looks against to pock-marked steel door.








No comments:
Post a Comment