Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blog #10

Chapter 4

Rineke Dijkstra
Amy, Liverpool, England, 2008
http://www.artnet.com/artwork/426033078/524/rineke-dijkstra-amy-liverpool-england.html

I chose this image by Rineke Dijkstra because it the girl in the image is objectified by the camera. She stares right at the viewer, inviting a return gaze. Just by being the subject, she becomes the object.


Robert Mapplethorpe
Derrick Cross, 1982
http://www.mapplethorpe.org/portfolios/male-nudes/

I chose this image by Robert Mapplethorpe because of the homoerotic desire in photography. The way the model stands intrigues the viewer, yet he doesn't stand in typical "masculine" stance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5



Upwords
The game of changing lettes to bring up new words
Hasbro



Advertising Agency: Grey, Mexico
Executive Creative Directors: Emilio Solis, Edgar Verne, Joanna Lopez
Creative Directora: Hugo Muñoz, Román Barrera
Head of Art: Hugo Muñoz
Art Directora: Christian Valderrama, Juan Pablo Torres
Copywriters: Sergio Fernández Villaescusa


The "Grammar of the Ad" in our textbook talks about the signifiers of ads. This is an ad for a game where you stack letters on top of each other to change words around. For this image, each of the things in the "stack" are signifiers in themselves. Cat changes to fat, then from fat to bat, bat to rat, and rat to hat. I think that the best part of this lineup is the model that was used for "fat." She is wearing lingerie, which seemingly temps the viewer to look at her in a sexual way.


Josephine Meckseper
Blow-Up (Tamara, Michelli, Laura). 2006 

I chose this image by Josephine Meckseper because it falls into the fashion photography section of chapter 5. The 'femininity' of the image ranges from seductive to strong, but the women are clearly advertising something. They are juxtaposed with a clear box and a slate grey background which shows off the diversity of their clothes and skin tones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an image of my snake Nefertiti. She was trying to get out of her cage when I shot this. I like the way that the light reflects off of her scales.


I really like the low depth of field and highly saturated colors in this image of an Easter basket.



The texture in this image really draws me into it. I also really like how closely the graffiti is cropped. 




1 comment: